Monday, July 20, 2009

8 Kythorn 1479

Today I killed a man.

The day started with us going and registering with Turlough's Steel and they put us on the rota, but there weren't any jobs immediately. So we spent some time shopping and hit a bardic hangout called The Coal Mine - where there was some impressive displays, especially a gnomish torch singer who played the audience in ways I can only dream of. It was all I ever wanted - and it seems almost to belong to another life.

When we headed back, though, towards evening, there was quite a rumpus outside Oleg's. Those jackasses in the robes were back and they'd moved beyond intimidation and into violence - even prepared with bottles to burn the place down. We got those fellows dealt with and led Oleg's wife, Festa - a human, not that that seemed to matter to the robed idiots touting racial purity and human supremacy - and their 2 small children out of the house. Nor did the danger to innocents bother them. So much for Waterdeep's fabled (yeah, as in made-up) tolerance and racial equality.

Oleg asked us to help him get Festa and the kids safely to the watchhouse where Ches worked, where they'd be safe. We managed, darting through the streets - but fighting small groups along the way. I nearly managed to send one group off on a snipe hunt with no fighting, but Allyson once again forgot that she needs to duck BACK into the shadows, not just stand there. But we left most of them out cold, but survivable. Unfortunately, we couldn't manage that with every group. I finally ended up frying the brains on one of them hard enough that he was dead. Totally dead. Beyond healing dead.

Allyson says it was the right thing to do and she's right, I know it, I just don't feel it. Yes, we had to stop them and yes, we didn't have time to go slow and pretty and yes, he was trying to kill Allyson, but... Well, I just wish it hadn't been me that finished it. Sure, some of the others we'd run into died, but never at MY hand. Easy enough for Allyson to brush it off as a necessity, but she's trained to do just that. I've spent my life training to talk to people. I suppose if I'm going to be a mercenary I'm going to have to get used to it, but I don't think I'm ever going to like this. Maybe I can find better ways to avoid fights entirely.

Anyway, we got to the watchhouse and Ches said that their captain had been drugged, which slowed their response and they were dealing with the damage, but what was needed was to find the headquarters for these Black Hoods (apparently they've been spewing their disgusting ideas for some time). So we headed out to see what we could manage - Oleg deciding to come along, since Festa and the kids were safe. It took some time, but we managed it. First, by capturing one for questioning - watching 2 half-orcs and a overgrown human intimidate a weaselly (my apologies to weasels) racist was a joy. Not to mention it gave me time to make sure none of the others were going to die - except for the ones that the others had killed straight out - and tie 'em up.

We eventually found the warehouse housing the "Four Square Company". Gnf sent in a spirit snake to scout for us, but one of the door guards was actually sharp and both noticed and decided to report - bad, very bad. Oleg charged them both, which gave us time to get in. We pulled on black robes and tucked Gnf away at the back of us since he's a dead (haha) giveaway. I marched in to give my report, but I think the violence had shaken me some, because the big bad - or at least the guy in a fancier black robe sitting up on the dais and lording it over the others, so I assume he was the boss, he sure proved tougher than the others - declared he didn't know my voice, who was I? I made up a name on the spot and it was a good name, I'm sure of it, but maybe I should have worked in some way to refer to redemption, it being the password, whatever I bolluxed it up totally. He threw a massive sonic or psychic blast, some seriously nasty magic, which pretty much rocked all of us back on our heels, while his minions charged. Seriously outnumbered and with such a powerful magic-tapper against us, I was a fair bit worried - ok, ok, I was scared shitless - but he took off straight out the back door. Still, it was plenty dicey. Oleg all but died himself, since he charged well ahead and it took me a bit to reach him to heal him. We used up everything we had, but we won in the end.

Under the "throne" the big bad was sitting on we found some nice things - now, see, I don't feel the least underhanded or guilty about taking THOSE, we earned 'em - good stuff for everyone...except me, but I can sell the lens. Silly thing. Ought to give us enough funds to get Maxie a magicked weapon. Maybe I can find better pipes too.

Well, it's late - or early, depending - and I should try to sleep, but I don't think I can.

I wonder if he had a family who mourns him.

No comments:

Post a Comment